To celebrate the fifth anniversary of the Retro Disney World Podcast, there is going to be an event held at Walt Disney World and it sounds pretty fantastic.
RetroMagic will take place on Saturday, Oct. 12 and Sunday, Oct. 13 and will feature panels from dozens of Disney legends. Naturally, all of the topics of conversation will circle around past Disney World attractions, events and even music!
Here is the guest lineup:
Disney Legend Bob Gurr – From the Autopia and monorail to the Fort Wilderness Train, he has had an amazing career at Disney that touched on many of the attractions we all know and love. He received a lifetime achievement award from THEA in 1999.
Disney Legend Rolly Crump – Starting with the 1964/65 World’s Fair, he worked with Walt Disney on many future Walt Disney World attractions including The Enchanted Tiki Room and Haunted Mansion. He also helped design notable locations at E.P.C.O.T. Center including The Land pavilion and the Electric Umbrella restaurant.
Disney Legend Ron Logan – With a career at Disney spanning entertainment, special events, theatrical productions and more, Logan is responsible for many of the nighttime spectaculars seen by millions.
Disney Legend Tom Nabbe – Hired by Walt himself, Nabbe oversaw the construction of the monorail system in Orlando and was in charge of warehousing show pieces during E.P.C.O.T. Center’s construction.
Disney Imagineer Tom K. Morris – Various efforts at E.P.C.O.T. Center and Disneyland Paris and more.
Disney Imagineer Jim Sarno – Artist responsible for SMRT-1 at CommuniCore and The Land pavilion’s fountain among other works.
Ron Schneider – Original walk-around Dreamfinder character.
Ali Olmo – Original vocalist for the song Two Brothers in the American Adventure attraction
Michael Campbell – Carolwood Foundation member Walt Disney Train expert.
Tammy Tuckey – Disney Parks historian, singer/songwriter who released an album of Disney cover songs.
Here is a list of just some of the panel topics for RetroMagic:
- Walt Disney World: A Kingdom in Florida with Disney Legends Bob Gurr and Tom Nabbe
- The Spectacle of SpectroMagic with Ron Logan
- Exclusive video interview with Rolly Crump
- Building E.P.C.O.T. Center with Imagineer Tom K. Morris & Artist Jim Sarno
- The Fort Wilderness Railroad with Michael Campbell
- Birthdayland with original Dreamfinder Ron Schneider
- The American Adventure in Song: A discussion and performance of “Two Brothers” by original artist Ali Olmo accompanied by Tammy Tuckey
- Presenting The World in 360 Degrees: A Discussion with Jeff Blyth director of Circlevision films including Wonders of China, Timekeeper and more.
- The Age of Information: Original CommuniCore attraction song performed by Lisa Bastoni, granddaughter of the original attraction artist
- RARE never before seen artifacts including the original SMRT-1 model!
- Presentation of never before seen private films of WDW and a home movie of E.P.C.O.T. Center from 1985.
- Special RetroWDW gift for all attendees!
Lunchtime on the day of the main event will feature an Epcot classic: the handwich! That’s right, the executive chefs at the Contemporary Resort will feature a build your own handwich buffet!
Finally, there is a VIP reception on Saturday, Oct. 12 for a viewing of the new nighttime extravaganza Epcot Forever!
Note: This is a fan event and not affiliated with Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Company
Editor’s Note: This is not a paid advertisement. Just an event that I thought was personally pretty cool and am interested in attending!
Make sure to follow Theme Park University on Instagram, on Twitter, subscribe to YouTube and like our Facebook page! Want to support Theme Park University? Donate via Paypal! Doing any online shopping? Click on any Amazon link on this page and it helps TPU pay the bills and costs you nothing extra!