In order to make room for Star Wars Land, Disneyland has to do some house cleaning. Or moving, to be more precise. Believe it or not, until recently, Disneyland has actually had a house sitting just a few steps away from guest view since the park opened in 1955. During the construction of Disneyland, a few houses had to be moved in order to build the park. Owen and Dolly Pope were given their choice of those houses and they chose the one that sat backstage at Disneyland and lived there until recently.
The Popes met Walt in March 1951. At the time, Walt wanted to open a park adjacent to the studio in Burbank and wanted horses involved. Harper Goff had seen the Pope’s traveling horses at a fair in 1950 and had told Walt they would be a good fit for his park.
As we all know, that park in Burbank blossomed into Disneyland and the Pope family actually lived in this house just behind what became known as the Circle D Corral until 1963. The corral is where the horses for Main Street were kept until recently and they have been moved to a different facility.
With the recent announcement of Disneyland’s expansion of Star Wars and the closure of Circle D Corral, the Pope House was actually moved to a new location off of Ball Road near Disneyland. While the house hasn’t been lived in since about 1967 and has only been used as offices since, it’s nice to see history preserved that most Disneyland guests wouldn’t even know about. Bravo.
Make sure to follow Theme Park University on Instagram, on Twitter and like our Facebook page! Doing any online shopping? Click on any Amazon link on this page and it helps TPU pay the bills and costs you nothing extra!
Images Copyright: Disney Parks Blog, Orange County Register